Question:

From America On-Line:

I have had diabetes since age 10 but the doctors did not do anything about it. Now I'm 48. Every time I try to get answers from the doctors they really don't listen -- I always want to get answers and stay up on diabetes so I read articles. One of the doctors said I had protein in my kidney but not to worry. Is this bad or what I can do?

Answer:

Protein in the urine (microalbuminuria or proteinuria according to the amount spilled) is a marker of diabetic kidney disease, often associated with high blood pressure, and needs treatment. You may want to look for a diabetes team to help you in better assessing your kidney function through a proper medical examination.

[Editor's comment: Protein in the urine should be treated with a medication called an ACE inhibitor. See How to Protect your Kidneys for further information. WWQ]

DTQ-ONCRM20000721