From Olney, Maryland, USA:

My fifteen year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 at age eleven, remains out of control. I have done research and have identified a place called Cumberland Hospital, part of the Brown Schools. They specialize in children and adolescent with behavior problems associated with medical conditions. They have a specific program for teens with diabetes, with eating disorders and with both. Have you heard of them? I found them on the web and would like confirmation. My daughter's endocrinologist is willing to go this route because he sees no other option. They are accredited and are acknowledged by the ADA. Please let me know your ideas. So many kids in these questions seem like candidates. There are so few places to help these kids.

They are a good center. My limited experience, however, is that after the teens return home, they slip without the continuing support of Cumberland. I think ideally you have a team in place including a psychiatrist who will evaluate your daughter before she goes to Cumberland, then work with your daughter and the family when she returns.

[Editor's comment: I have seen Cumberland Hospital displaying at meetings of the American Diabetes Association and The American Association of Diabetes Educators. Their materials look good, although I am not familiar with the program intimately. SS]