Question:

From New Orleans, Louisiana, USA:

I was diagnosed type 1 three years ago and was put on insulin therapy, first using shots, now using an insulin pump. I recently changed doctors and my new endocrinologist ordered a c-peptide level test and it came back at 4.3, indicating that I am producing more than enough insulin. My original physician never ordered this test. I am male, 35 years old, 6 feet 2 inches tall and weigh 215 pounds. What are the ramifications of this discovery? As you can imagine, I am extremely baffled and confused by this. I will hear from the endocrinologist soon regarding how we are going to handle this.

Answer:

I am a little puzzled too. It is important you do discuss this with your diabetes team. It may mean however that you could be insulin resistant, so this is worth checking out.

JS