Question:

I have had diabetes for seven years and I have a history of acute pancreatitis. I take 30 units of human Mixtard (by pen)in the morning only. My blood sugars are usually normal. For the last six months, I have to empty my bowels three or four times a day usually after eating and I am losing weight because of this. I have done a stool test which shows presence of fats (3+). I have also had CBC, ESR & sonography of abdomen which are all normal. I have consulted my physician, who prescribed tablets called Pancreoflat, which hasn't worked. Please make some suggestions.

Answer:

I don't understand whether you're suffering from a classical type 1 diabetes or from a type of diabetes secondary to pancreatitis even though acute pancreatitis only very rarely leads to permanent insulin requiring diabetes. On the other hand, chronic pancreatitis frequently results in overt diabetes. Steatorrhea (fat in stools) is a classical finding of pancreatitis, and an higher caloric intake may be required because of the frequent finding of weight loss in these patients. Weight loss may be also secondary to malabsorption from associated pancreatic exocrine insufficiency. This may require concomitant therapy with digestive enzymes.

I think I cannot be of any further help if your diabetes is, whatever type is, doing fine. However, a gastroenterologist [a specialist in gut disorders] could be of great help.