Question:

From Doylestown, Pennsylvania, USA:

My eight year old daughter, who does not have diabetes, is of normal weight. I have type 2 diabetes, and I did not have risk factors prior to diagnosis. My daughter has been having complaints similar to low blood sugar. When I tested her with my meter she was 57 mg/dl (3.2 mmol/L) two hours after breakfast. She eats regular healthy meals but continues to be ravenously hungry. Is she at risk for diabetes? Do people without diabetes also have low blood sugar sometimes?

Answer:

She is not at increased risk of having Type 1 diabetes. The blood sugar reading is not very low, and this can happen in nondiabetics, particularly after fasting.

JS

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Diagnosis and Symptoms