Question:

From Chennai, India:

What is pancreatic extract? What are its therapeutic uses? Is it commercially available?

Answer:

I wonder if this isn't the exocrine gland extract. Pancreatic enzymes are used as a digestive aid and necessary for children with cystic fibrosis and other pancreatic diseases. If it's for diabetes, I doubt it works.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Don't know what pancreatic extract is but I suspect it is of no value to anyone with diabetes. Don't waste your time or money.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

It is available in health food stores, but has not been shown to be useful at all, so I do not suggest buying it.

LSF

Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

You may be thinking of preparations like Pancreatin granules which are used to supply pancreatic digestive enzymes to children with cystic fibrosis or to people who have had surgical removal of the pancreas. Such products have no role in the management of diabetes.

[Editor's comment: Pancreatic extract does have a role in the treatment of failure of the part of the pancreas called the exocrine pancreas (which is the part that manufactures digestive juices). As discussed above, pancreas extract has no role in the treatment of diabetes (which is a problem with a different part of the pancreas, called the endocrine pancreas).

I might also mention that there recently was a fad for a product with a similar name, "Pancreas Tonic"; see Don't Be Misled: Pancreas Tonic is Not a Cure for further information about this product. WWQ]

Additional comments added 19 Sep 2000
Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations