Question:

From Oklahoma, USA:

I have a five year old son who has had type 1 diabetes for 3 years. I was told by my doctor that potty-training would take longer because of the amount of urine that a child with diabetes passes. So with this information, we didn't push but let him go at his on pace. He finally trained except at night at the age of four. When he was four and two months, he had a low sugar seizure in the middle of the night. About a week after that, he started having accidents with his bowel movements. It would be little at a time until he's finally finished. I still did not get concerned, but two weeks ago, he had another seizure and, since then, he also has accidents with wetting. My pediatrician says it is not connected with the diabetes or the seizures. I usually have faith in what she says, but we have tried everything to help him break this new habit and nothing works. Is there any way this is related to his condition?

Answer:

It's impossible to say for certain, but it is well known that any emotional upset can set back children who are dry. They may wet at night (or daytime) for a while until they settle down. I don't think you should be worried and he will be dry again soon.

Posted to Behavior