Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

Do you have any information on Diabetic Stiff Hand Syndrome? I am aware, from the little information that I did receive on Stiff Man Syndrome, as it is also called, that it is caused from long term diabetes and can be related to poor control. I have had surgery on my right hand for problems related to Stiff Hand Syndrome, and I am going to be undergoing more surgery on both hands again. I was recently informed that I have this in other areas of my body. Due to the fear of diabetes complications, I have made radical improvements in my diabetes management.

Answer:

Stiff-Man Syndrome is a rare disorder. For a good review of its primary characteristics, you might check out Stiff Man Syndrome The National Organization of Rare Disorders (www.nord.org) also has an information sheet available on-line for $7.50. I have always found their information on rare disorders to be of excellent quality.

[Editor's comment: We have answered previous questions about this subject. WWQ]