Question:

From Australia:

I have diabetes but not a very good one. I do everything that I shouldn't. I have had diabetes for approximately 18 years now, and, even though I realise it, I don't seem to be able to come to terms with it. I am probably in the category that needs help.

I have not seen a specialist doctor for about 10 years now, and I know all the relevant comments about why I should (tell that to my brain). Can you smoke marijuana if you have diabetes?diabetic? I have often wondered, although I have not as yet tried. I do drink alcohol, probably far too much. I have 3 beautiful daughters and a wonderful husband. Am I the only person who has diabetes and the worst mood swings in the world or are there others?

Answer:

It sounds like you are ready to work with someone to help you live better with your diabetes. That decision was not easy, and you should be proud of yourself for asking for some help. Perhaps you were motivated by thinking about your wonderful children and your husband.

The most important thing that you can do for your family, is to find a diabetes program for yourself. They can help you learn new ways of controlling your blood sugars (which will improve your mood swings!). They can help you learn to make decisions about your own care that feels right for you.

By the way, alcohol and marijuana usually lower people's mood -- make them more depressed. That does not seem to be what you're trying to accomplish right now, so it may be even more important for you to find a diabetes specialist that can help. Do this for your children so you can enjoy their childhood and one day marvel at the wonders of grandparenthood.

JWB

DTQ-ONCGBR20000131
Posted to Behavior