Question:

From Seattle, Washington, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes (diagnosed at age nine, managing the disease for 20+ years). My mother passed at age 44 and had had diabetes since age four. I am in social work school and, given the impact diabetes has had in my life, I'd like to work with people who have diabetes. Can you give advice regarding career paths? Are there many job opportunities out there? Is a degree as a diabetes counselor required? Suggestions?

Answer:

I would suggest becoming a certified diabetes educator or CDE. You will need to complete your social work degree and then contact the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators to be sure of the requirements at that point since they do vary a bit over time. There is a great need for MSW CDEs. We all know.

LSF

Posted to Other Social Issues