Question:

From Natick, Massachusetts, USA:

My three and one-half year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and is now a happy preschooler. Although we have done our best to tightly control his blood sugar levels, it has not been easy. I am concerned about the long term effects of low blood sugars in young children with type 1 diabetes. What types of learning disabilities are most common in children diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at a young age? Is there any type of therapy that can be done to correct this condition?

Answer:

Learning difficulties are not more common in children with type 1 diabetes. Children who have frequent and prolonged hypoglycaemia under the age of five have been reported to have learning difficulties, particularly difficulties with spatial orientation, numbers, and I think occasionally memory, concentration and comprehension. However, these problems are not common, and are related to significant and prolonged hypoglycaemia.

JS

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare