Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

We just got the test results back on my 11 year old son. His fasting blood sugar was 107 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L] but his 3 hour glucose tolerance test was in the 300s {16.7 mmol/L]. What does this mean and why the variation?

Answer:

A fasting blood glucose of 107 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L] in a child is actually high, not diabetes, which is 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L], but still high. A three-hour glucose of over 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L] is very high.

I don't know why the doctors did the glucose tolerance test. He sounds like he has early diabetes. Ask your doc to refer you to a pediatric endocrinologist that is participating in the Diabetes Prevention Trial.