Question:

From Santa Monica, California, USA:

My five year old daughter was diagnosed as being clinically obese three and one-half years ago. She now weighs about 78 pounds. In the past, we have had an MRI to check for a tumor, which came back negative. When she was three, we had two blood draws in the same day to check for insulin and cortisol levels (both normal, according to the doctor). Last month we saw an endocrinologist who ordered another blood draw to check for insulin levels. We had this done this week and I'll see the endocrinologist next week. What are the ramifications? What are we looking for? She really doesn't eat more than her peers, she's active with sports, ice skating, climbing, walking, etc. We're at a loss as to why she's so big and doesn't eat that much. She loves/craves sweets, but we monitor that to one dessert per day (one nutritionist we went to said not to deny the desserts because that could create a closet eating disorder later, so we allow sweets within reason...one cookie, one candy, one ice cream, etc. per day). We need help. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Answer:

As we learn more about Type 2 diabetes, we are learning it can occur in children, even little ones. I am sure he is looking at the insulin level to see if there might be early tendency to type 2 diabetes.

Obesity is a tough problem for everyone in America.