Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from September 2000

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My 12 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four weeks ago. All in all, he seems to be getting along quite well. I have heard him state that "his life is over", "ruined" and "he should just die". Some of this is normal, but how soon should I seek counseling? (30 Sep 2000)

2. Would nutrition bars such as Glucerna and Extend be helpful in maintaining her blood sugar level or will they tend to cause it to be high in the morning if she eats a bar as a bedtime snack? (30 Sep 2000)

3. My 14 year old son was diagnosed one year ago with diabetes. He has been on insulin only as needed since two weeks after he was diagnosed. Lately, in the morning, his sugar is in the 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] range. He takes 2 units of Regular and, by midafternoon, even with a snack, he is hypo. What could be causing his blood sugar to go up in the middle of the night? (30 Sep 2000)

4. My nine year old daughter has been having seizure-like episodes for the past three years. Diabetes runs in both my family and my husband's. We checked her blood sugar with a home device after a seizure. What is normal for a child? If she had diabetes, could that make her have the seizures? (30 Sep 2000)

5. I am 15 and have had type 1 diabetes since I was six months old. I am taking Regular and NPH, both at breakfast and at dinner. My blood sugar level seems to be higher when I wake up in the morning. Is there some way I can adjust my insulin intake to help lower my blood sugar level? (30 Sep 2000)

6. We started to withdraw the U from the vials before the H (instead of the other way around as we always have) and this seems to have helped minimize the clogging. Is drawing up the insulins in this order safe? (30 Sep 2000)

7. My nine year old child has diabetes. We live about 0.8 miles from the school, and, this year, he will not have bus transportation. In the past, he has forgotten snack before leaving school and had low's on the bus. I am worried. Do I have the right to request special accommodation for transportation? (29 Sep 2000)

8. I am a school nurse and would like guidance about how to implement a protocol for the use of glucagon in diabetes emergencies in a large public high school. (29 Sep 2000)

9. Our son is 12 years old and has had diabetes since the age of six. Recently, our pediatric endocrinologist left the area and we are not comfortable with his replacement. We would like a listing of all pediatric endocrinologists in our area. (29 Sep 2000)

10. Should elementary students be allowed to check their blood sugars in the classroom? Do you suggest criteria for allowing them this priviledge? (29 Sep 2000)

11. I remember finding a publication at one time that I think was entitled "A Child With Diabetes Is In Your Care". I can't seem to locate this publication and would like to be able to provide this, and any other material you might think relevant, to the teaching team at the new school. (29 Sep 2000)

12. My son is two and one-half year old son has had diabetes a year. He is having a hard time with injections and fighting it. Any suggestions on how to make it the most postive experience as possible? (29 Sep 2000)

13. I am a paediatric diabetes nurse who is wondering what you would advocate as a safe HbA1c range for younger children with type 1 diabetes. (29 Sep 2000)

14. Two months ago, we found out our five year old son is allergic to sugar. Should we be concerned with juvenile diabetes? (29 Sep 2000)

15. My husband has type 2 diabetes diagnosed two and half years ago. His feet are totally dead and the pain and numbness has moved to just below his knees in the past year. How long do you have to have diabetes to get major peripheral neuropathy? (29 Sep 2000)

16. My seven year old son is now interested in pump therapy. I am all for it. Is it painful to insert the infusion? Is there a high risk of getting infected sites? If he does get an infection, is it dangerous? (29 Sep 2000)

17. I recently read on the Internet that immunizations may have something to do with contracting diabetes. Could you please comment on this? (28 Sep 2000)

18. I am writing on behalf of Darebin Community Health and we are in the throes of organising a Diabetes Forum for the Greek speaking community of Melbourne. Would you have or know where I might find any information resources in the Greek language? (28 Sep 2000)

19. I have had type 1 diabetes since the age of five, and I am now 17 years old. I am planning to study electrical engineering in Canada and have several questions. (28 Sep 2000)

20. My six year old daughter is has been complaining of itching after she urinates. I have also noticed that her appetite is changing, and when I brush her hair, I notice that a lot of it is coming out. A friend said that is what happened to her when she was diagnosed with diabetes. Are these symptoms? (28 Sep 2000)

21. We have been told that our 12 year old son, diagnosed about 15 months ago, is spilling large amounts of protein in his urine. His endocrinologist has told us that this could be the beginning stages of renal disease and is re-testing through another 24 hour urine study. What does this mean for my son? What can we do to prevent this from going any further? (28 Sep 2000)

22. I have had diabetes for four years now. During this time, I have put on a lot of weight, have lost a lot of energy, and feel constantly depressed. My control is quite poor. Will going on an insulin pump help? (28 Sep 2000)

23. My 11 year old niece, who has newly diagnosed diabetes, is taking the NPH/Humalog combination. I also have diabetes. I watched her get woken up several times during the night to check her sugars, and eating like she was on military time, but never getting the control I have. Is there some reason that kids shouldn't take non-peaking insulin? Wouldn't that be more flexible for a child? (28 Sep 2000)

24. Is it okay to test blood sugar and to give insulin injections in public places like restaurants, parks, etc., in the United States? I am traveling with my six year old child, who has type 1, and I am used to doing this any place when I have to. (28 Sep 2000)

25. I have type 2, and I am also trying to get pregnant with the help of fertility specialists. If I know I'm going to be up late (past 1 am or so) should I take my nightly insulin later? How quickly is a woman's blood sugar affected by pregnancy? (28 Sep 2000)

26. If I can't afford to see a doctor, are there ways to get testing for diabetes through public assistance? (28 Sep 2000)

27. What are your thoughts on the new insulin, glargine, just approved by the FDA? Will it replace the need for the pump? (27 Sep 2000)

28. Have you heard anything about a recent birth of a child with diabetes in Arkansas? I wanted to know as much about the baby as possible. I understand he/she is on a pump. Is this the first time this has ever happened? (27 Sep 2000)

29. We started to withdraw the U from the vials before the H (instead of the other way around as we always have), and this seems to have helped minimize the clogging. Is drawing up the insulins in this order safe? (27 Sep 2000)

30. I am seeing double in my left eye. I had Bell's palsy on the same side of my face. Is this a form of stroke which has damaged the optic nerve or could it be that the palsy has affected the sixth as well as the seventh cranial nerve? (27 Sep 2000)

31. My son has type 1 diabetes. Since he's been on summer vacation, his insulin injections haven't been on a set schedule. I adjusted his insulin accordingly with good results. I've heard he should stay on a set schedule. With his glucose readings stabilized, should I worry? (27 Sep 2000)

32. I have had type 1 diabetes for nine years, but still find it incredibly difficult to tell people about my condition. What is your advice on telling friends, coworkers, etc.? (27 Sep 2000)

33. My son will be entering kindergarten, and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes seven months ago. When I called the school district to ask what their policies are regarding the care of children with diabetes, I was told that the only people allowed to administer insulin are the school nurse, the parents of the child with diabetes, and the child him or herself. (27 Sep 2000)

34. My 14 1/2 year old daughter has had diabetes for almost six years. She does fine until she has had a few days of frequent exercise, then she tests her blood sugar before bed, thinks everything is okay, but she has a seizure between 2 am and 5 am. I am concerned about this. (27 Sep 2000)

35. My nine year old son recently had a two hour after meal serum blood glucose level of 132 mg/dl [7.3 mmol/L]. I know that the range for a person who does not have diabetes should be 65-109 mg/dl [3.6-6 mmol/L]. Is it unusual for a person who does not have diabetes to have such a variance? (27 Sep 2000)

36. I am 30 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years. I am pregnant and having trouble with low blood sugars. Some have been severe. I want to know the dangers of low blood sugars during pregnancy. (27 Sep 2000)

37. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during my pregnancy. My son is now eight years old. We have a very hard time controlling his weight. Has any relationship between gestational diabetes and obesity or glucose intolerance been found? (26 Sep 2000)

38. Our 11 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 five months ago. Over the next two months, his readings became less and less, so we gave less and less insulin. We took him off insulin and he remained with excellent readings However, during the past two weeks, his readings have increased a little. Should we be concerned about these few 'higher' readings? Should he go back on insulin? (26 Sep 2000)

39. Will an antibacterial hand sanitizer/cleaner that is used without water, interfere with accurate blood glucose results? (26 Sep 2000)

40. I have had diabetes for 23 years and just became pregnant.. I am very concerned at the moment as my blood glucose control has always been erratic. (26 Sep 2000)

41. I was diagnosed with low blood sugar about five months ago. I can tell when my sugar is bad, but should I ask about getting a sugar tester? (26 Sep 2000)

42. My eight year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on a year ago. Does the Americans with Disability Act, or any other law, have a provision which requires that his school have someone someone on the premises who will administer glucagon or insulin to him in an emergency? (26 Sep 2000)

43. My daughter is nine, was diagnosed five years ago, and has been on a pump for the last year. Her school principal is concerned about her testing in the classroom due to the blood issue. (26 Sep 2000)

44. I am a school nurse, and I have a kindergarten student with type 1 for two schools. His blood sugar is very hard to control, and his doctor states he cannot be left alone at any time. The superintendent of the school has agreed to have an aid in the class for four hours a day and says that, when I come to work at lunch time, I should go and check on him every 15-20 minutes. (26 Sep 2000)

45. My five year old daughter has had diabetes for almost a year. They increased her food and insulin. However, she started dipping down so low that she had her first low blood sugar reaction. I was scared, so I stepped her insulin dose down. Now she is taking less insulin than before the carb increase. Why is that? How can I watch her better at night? (25 Sep 2000)

46. My little girl has cerebral palsy and gastrostomy tube feedings. Recently, her blood sugar was 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]. We have no idea what got it that high. After two hours, she finally woke up and was back to her old self. Her blood sugar went back down on its own. Can she have diabetes? (25 Sep 2000)

47. I am 29 years old have type 2 diabetes. My HbA1c is 6.0%. I want to know if there is an immediate change in my blood sugars when I become pregnant. How will I know? (25 Sep 2000)

48. My daughter just recently turned three years old. Since birth, she has been very ill. She potty trained normally, but her activity has increased to going to the potty about every 15 minutes. She also eats all the time, but she gains very little weight. My father has diabetes. Do you think I should have her screened for diabetes? (25 Sep 2000)

49. I am 11. Lately, my blood sugars have been high. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. So, when they are high I just don't eat. What do you think? (25 Sep 2000)

50. My eight year old son was diagnosed at age two and one-half. His blood sugar is in fairly good control, but there are days when it bounces in a matter of four hours. We follow his diet and insulin regimen very carefully, adjusting when necessary, but these unexplained crazy days really have us baffled. (25 Sep 2000)

51. My daughter tested my blood sugar for the heck of it after I went running and it was 31 mg/dl [1.7 mmol/L]. Is it normal to occasionally have a low blood sugar if you do not have diabetes? (25 Sep 2000)

52. My three year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for about a year. She is getting two types of insulin twice a day using syringes. I want to shift her to insulin pens. What should be done to shift to insulin pens? (22 Sep 2000)

53. My ten year old son is having low blood sugars. He does not have diabetes. His endocrinologist has prescribed medication. I am hesitant to start medication without further for a reason as to why his blood sugar is low. Am I overly worried about the medication? (22 Sep 2000)

54. I have had diabetes (type 1) for almost 15 years. I am 27, and I am in fairly good control. My last HbA1c was 7.1%. On and off for the past seven years, I have had bouts of insomnia (the past 6 weeks have been the worst). Is there a link between diabetes and insomnia? (22 Sep 2000)

55. I'm using Humalog (short acting insulin) and NPH. I'm 17 weeks pregnant, and I've been told to change back to Regular insulin as they are not sure of what to expect (towards baby) while in womb. Can you advise me of any problems directly related to child defects from using Humalog? (22 Sep 2000)

56. My eight year old daughter's sugar has been around 117 mg/dl [6.5 mmol/L] as soon as she wakes up. She has been complaining of sweats during the night, and she has a vaginal itch. She generally did not eat a lot in the past, but now here appetite is rapidly increasing. I have a strong family history of diabetes. Do you think she may have it? (22 Sep 2000)

57. I am a young adult who has had diabetes since the age of six. I have had relatively good control over the years, but, recently, my control has suffered. I have neuropathy symptoms in my right leg and foot. This scares me a lot -- enough to pay much more attention to my control. What steps can I take to minimise further nerve damage? (22 Sep 2000)

58. I've had type 1 for 37 of my 48 years. I have read that people who have diabetes may be more prone to "frozen shoulder" than people who don't have diabetes. Can you explain what this problem is? What types of treatments are available? (22 Sep 2000)

59. I am 16 weeks pregnant. Why did I get gestational diabetes so early in my pregnancy? Are my risks higher of having diabetes after I give birth? Does it matter when in your pregnancy you develop the this? (22 Sep 2000)

60. Is it common for young children, aged eight to ten, to have seizures as a symptom of juvenile diabetes? She doesn't have any other symptoms, but she really kind of plump and, just recently, began having seizures. We can't seem to find the cause. (22 Sep 2000)

61. My son is 15 and has recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. What is a sliding scale? (22 Sep 2000)

62. My child had type 1 diabetes which developed during his third year. In many cases, although he has eaten much food containing much quantity of sugar and his psychological state is very good, the rate of the sugar lowers. (22 Sep 2000)

63. If his blood sugar approaches 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] before lunch, or before his bedtime snack, I would like to give him a small amount of Humalog rather than wait six to twelve hours. My endocrinologist is very much against giving him any additional injections. Why would this be? (21 Sep 2000)

64. When your sugar level is low, you should eat a piece of candy or something sweet, right? So what do you do when your sugar is a little high? My mother is not on any medication for diabetes yet, but some of the other medications she takes periodically makes her sugar level a little higher. (21 Sep 2000)

65. I am 14 and have a few questions about the insulin pump. I have heard that the insulin pump cause you to gain weight. Is this true, and if so why does it happen? Also, does it cause you to get scar tissue? Are there any other sites besides the stomach the that pump can be injected? (21 Sep 2000)

66. My 60 year old sister was diagnosed about four years ago with type 2. She had a lot of other physical problems notably in her arms. Her doctors said it was tendonitis and other problems. How can I motivate her to better regulation? (21 Sep 2000)

67. My friend's daughter was diagnosed as diabetes type 2, and is now pregnant. Does prenatal care differ in this situation versus care for women with type 1 diabetes who are pregnant or women with gestational diabetes? (21 Sep 2000)

68. I have experienced pain in my shoulder joints, which seems to radiate down my arm. The pain is worse at night, and feels almost to be in the bones. My endocrinologist said it may be soft tissue damage from glucose deposits. Could you explain, advise re minimizing/treating pain? (21 Sep 2000)

69. Over the past four years, my eight year old daughter has been gaining weight at a pretty rapid rate. I am concerned that type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance may be a problem. The pediatrician says if she does not have thirst, frequent urination, etc., she does not have diabetes. Do you think I should pursue a work-up for type 2? If so, what all should this include in a child? (21 Sep 2000)

70. Our two-year old grandson was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and has suffered a stroke severely affecting the right side of his body. Is there a "best" therapeutic device to improve the use of his arm and hand? (21 Sep 2000)

71. I have been having symptoms of hypoglycemia and have been testing myself. Given these values, should I be concerned? (21 Sep 2000)

72. My four year old son has type 1, diagnosed a year ago. He apparently is still in his honeymoon. He has some sudden lows. Do "distressed" islets lose their ability to compute? (21 Sep 2000)

73. My eight year old daughter was diagnosed when she was six years old. Her blood sugars have been good up until now. Now, she is high every morning, and we've upped her insulin and started giving her N insulin at bedtime, but she is still high in the morning. (20 Sep 2000)

74. A person at work, who has diabetes, did my blood sugar levels. They seem to be very low. I can't get in to see a doctor so what can I do to get my sugar level up to normal? (20 Sep 2000)

75. Our 16 year old son is constantly having seizures because of low blood sugar. We just can't regulate his sugar. Please help. (20 Sep 2000)

76. We have the conviction that he's not doing well because of constantly abnormal soft stool, not well developed tooth-enamel, and small stature. He has been tested for sprue. Is there a relationship between type 1 and malabsorption or something like inadequate production of digestive enzymes? Could there be a relation between a correct digestive process and his actual blood sugars? (20 Sep 2000)

77. My daughter is 16 years old and has had type 1 for 15 years. For the last couple of years, she has frequent stomachaches. She has been trying to figure out why this happens and what to do about it. (20 Sep 2000)

78. I am 16 years old. I am on medication for ADHD. I have been on this medication for over a week. I developed these symptoms before I was put on medication. Could this medication have any affect on these symptoms? (20 Sep 2000)

79. Our 21 month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 18 months old. She has had on and off highs (300+ mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]) at her regular test times. Her doctors say that highs are okay and nothing should be done if it's an explainable high. Is there any danger in what I consider excessive highs? (20 Sep 2000)

80. My seven year old son is has had diabetes for two years. His doctor has been unwilling to give him a flu shot because he tests positive for egg allergies. Are there any flu shots available will no egg allergy risks? (20 Sep 2000)

81. My four year old son was diagnosed several months ago., the only dietitians in the town where I live are from the old school of thought, and the diet they recommended would be impossible for an adult, let alone a little boy. Is there any organization that would be able to work out a diet for my son over the Internet, if I gave them all the pertinent information? (20 Sep 2000)

82. I have had diabetes for 30 years now and never experienced any problems most associated with diabetes. I never followed any special diet. (20 Sep 2000)

83. My husband and I were so outraged that they would send a child home with a blood sugar of 812 mg/dl [45.1 mmol/L]! What boggles my mind is how many medical professionals are uneducated about children with diabetes. Would the JDF be able to do something in regard with this particular hospital? (20 Sep 2000)

84. Our 14 year daughter has had diabetes for a month and is on oral medication. She is missing school, saying she is not feeling well when it's time for school, but she goes out and hangs with her friends on weekends. Could this be because of her diabetes? (19 Sep 2000)

85. I am a third grade teacher who with a student whose mother says he has hypoglycemia. He does not always have the best behavior. His mother told me that since he has hypoglycemia, I cannot expect him to remember what he is supposed to be doing or remember to do his homework. I asked her to give me a doctor's note, and she declined. Please help me understand if this is appropriate behavior for a hypoglycemic child, so I can make adjustments. (19 Sep 2000)

86. I know a girl who just turned 18. She's extremely underweight, she constantly has a water bottle in her hand, and she urinates so often it is unbelievable. She eats a lot, and always seems to be hungry, but never puts on any weight. She is also lazy a lot. She won't go to the doctor. Does she have diabetes? If she does, how important is it for her to get some medical assistance? (19 Sep 2000)

87. I am 37 years old and I have diabetes. I was diagnosed over four years ago and started on shots then. Shortly thereafter, I lost 60 pounds and didn't take anything any more for diabetes for almost a year and a half. I had a lot of stress and depression. Now, I weigh over 360 pounds and, my blood sugar stays high, I feel nauseous and tired, and I sense the first signs of neuropathy. I am becoming desperate. (19 Sep 2000)

88. My 12 year old daughter who has been suffering from migraine headaches for two years. I am almost 95 percent positive that they come on when her blood sugar drops. I have mentioned this to our doctor and get no response, or I am told not to worry. Any ideas, or should I relax and just keep insisting on low carbohydrate meals and a regular schedule as I have been doing for over a year? (19 Sep 2000)

89. I have had type 1 diabetes for almost 48 years. Someone told me they heard that there is an insulin patch that can be placed under the skin. Do you have any information on this? (19 Sep 2000)

90. I am 32 and just had my gestational diabetes finger stick blood test which read 145 mg/dl [8.1 mmol/L]. I didn't know I was going to take the test before going to the physician's office that morning. Would my diet on the day of the test possibly have caused the blood sugar level to be high? (19 Sep 2000)

91. They are suggesting juvenile diabetes. Could you tell me what the symptoms might be, and what they should be doing? My husband has type 1 diabetes. His mother and several siblings all had diabetes. Would this be a factor? (19 Sep 2000)

92. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost 20 years ago. My new doctor has recommended that I try Glucophage in addition to my insulin. I have not yet found any information about its effects on type 1 diabetes. Is there any information you could give me that would help me to make a better decision as to whether I should take Glucophage? (19 Sep 2000)

93. My six year old daughter has type 1 diabetes. About a month ago, her father took me to court because of high blood sugars. The judge gave him full custody. Her father is now keeping the blood sugars extremely low, and she has ended up in the emergency room already. Any help? Any financial assistance available for situations like this? (19 Sep 2000)

94. My five year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of two and one-half. She has never been to daycare or pre-school, and is starting school for the first time next month. Since is the first time that she will be away from me or my wife, we are very nervous. (18 Sep 2000)

95. Are there orientation sessions for the pump? If so, how long do they last? Is it possible for the pump to be taught to a camp nurse in 20 minutes? Is a camper who is six years old and on the pump for only one month a safe day camp candidate? (18 Sep 2000)

96. I have had two toe amputations in the last year and a half, I suffer from severe neuropathy, and I have recently been diagnosed with Charcot Joint Disease. I was collecting a urine sample for a 24 hour test and discovered that my urine was brownish in color and extremely cloudy. How alarmed should I be? (18 Sep 2000)

97. My mother has type 1 diabetes for over 20 years and had left hand, shoulder, and face tremors. They relate the tremor-seizure to the high sugars, and they cannot control the sugar levels. Is this a stiff hand syndrome? Why can't the levels be controlled? (18 Sep 2000)

98. My daughter is three years old and diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six months ago. She is on Humalog and NPH twice a day. Is it better to begin a toddler on a more intensive therapy? (18 Sep 2000)

99. I am 37 weeks pregnant and have had gestational diabetes for three weeks. My glucose levels are usually low, but, sometimes, I am very surprised by high ones. Should I be worried? (18 Sep 2000)

100. My five year old has had type 1 diabetes for three years. My five year old has had type 1 diabetes for three years. He had a bout with croup three weeks ago, and since then, we've had tremendous difficulty keeping his blood sugars regulated. Is it unusual for children to experience these kinds of swings following illnesses? (18 Sep 2000)

101. My daughter is three and one-half years old. Over the last week and a half, she has been unusually thirsty and tired during the day. She has wet the bed every night this week. We have several family members with type 1. The doctor did a urine dipstick, which was negative for sugar, but positive for protein. Could this be some kind of early diabetes? (18 Sep 2000)

102. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed a year ago with type 1. She has not had good control. The nurse educator has upped her Regular and NPH, but the doctor is upset by the amount of insulin she is taking, thinking that I'm changing the doses on my own. Insulin changes are not working. (18 Sep 2000)

103. My five year old son seems unusually reactive to food, especially carbohydrates. He can become very agitated, cries, and is difficult to console. If I can get him to eat something, he seems to recover almost immediately. I wonder if he has some sort of condition that needs to be addressed. (18 Sep 2000)

104. My five year old daughter is asking to get her ears pierced. Her sugars aren't in the greatest control lately. Is that okay for her or not? (18 Sep 2000)

105. When I arrive home at night, her sugar is always 400-500 mg/dl (22.2 -27.8 mmol/L). I have tried giving her more NPH insulin, but she gets a low reaction, and, now that summer is here, she will get more exercise. I need to know what to do. (16 Sep 2000)

106. My daughter was diagnosed as mildly autistic and we've noticed she becomes very irritable and irrational at times. We note that after we feed her this goes away and she is calm. Could this be diabetes or hypoglycemia? (16 Sep 2000)

107. I am 30 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for 17 years. I moved to Texas seven months ago, and, since then, I have lost 45 pounds without dieting. Why would this be? (16 Sep 2000)

108. My child is six years old. She has not been diagnosed with diabetes, but I am concerned because her appetite has increased, she is always thirsty, and is complaining of being tired. (16 Sep 2000)

109. Can diet sodas increase blood sugar? When travelling, what is the best way to keep insulins from getting warm? (16 Sep 2000)

110. My 10 year old son was diagnosed about 10 months ago. After returning from a wonderful three week summer camp program, his numbers have spiralled higher and higher, and our team has suggested more and more insulin in response. He has been suffering from Coxsackie virus. Is it normal for the honeymoon to come to such an abrupt halt? Could the Coxsackie virus have had this much impact? (16 Sep 2000)

111. My five year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over a week ago. Every time he urinates, my son tells me that it hurts him. He had tests done, and he does not have a bladder infection. When will the pain stop and what could be the cause? (16 Sep 2000)

112. My five-year-old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year ago, and we've been adjusting quite well since then. However, for the last couple of months I have been noticing some definite compulsive behavior in my son. My husband and I both wonder if in spite of the positive attitude and courage our son has shown, this compulsive behavior might be diabetes-related. (16 Sep 2000)

113. My 21 year old son has had type 1 since the age of 18 months. His A1c's were high until he became old enough to work with his diabetes. Now our son is on a pump and hiss A1c level are in the 6% range. He was diagnosed with stage one kidney disease a year ago. We don't understand what this means in terms of life expectancy and quality of life. (16 Sep 2000)

114. My 10 year old son seems to be losing his ability to feel a hypo onset after three years with type 1 diabetes. In reviewing prior responses to questions regarding low blood sugar seizures, I was unable to ascertain when and why death would occur (16 Sep 2000)

115. My nine year old niece has had type 1 for nine months. It seems to us she has to eat an incredible amount of food. She even complains. Is it normal for all children with diabetes to have to eat a lot? (15 Sep 2000)

116. My 16 year old daughter has had diabetes for four years. For the last seven months, she has been hospitalized numerous times. She has lost weight, but gains it back when hospitalized. They say her only option at this point would be a pump, but she is resitant. (15 Sep 2000)

117. In your responses to chromium use in type 1 diabetes, you don't recommend usage. Why is it okay for type 2 and not for type 1 just because research studies haven't been performed? (15 Sep 2000)

118. I have had type 1 for 15 years. I am interested in finding out about the possibility of getting a pancreas transplant. (15 Sep 2000)

119. My seven year old nephew has been recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He has developed a fine rash that comes and goes and the doctors are not sure what this is related to. Is related to his diabetes? (15 Sep 2000)

120. My ten year old son was diagnosed with type 1 three months ago. He is taking 1 unit of Ultralente at night. As long as the child is healthy, growing and consuming enough calories, what are the benefits of giving large quantities of carbohydrate and increasing insulin to give the pancreas "rest"? (15 Sep 2000)

121. My four year old daughter was diagnosed two years ago. She recently had a positive TB test and is medication. She had an A1c of 9.1% Do you think they have anything to do with each other? If not, do you have any suggestions on what we can do to help get her in better control? (15 Sep 2000)

122. This question is about type 1 diabetes in a 14 year old male, which was missed for a long period of time. Symptoms are said to appear "suddenly". How suddenly is suddenly? How long could a child have type 1 diabetes without anyone noticing? Once onset has occurred, how long before fatal? (15 Sep 2000)

123. My nine year old granddaughter eats ice all day long.I seem to remember reading or hearing that constant consumption of ice is a symptom of possible diabetes. Is there anything to this ice equals diabetes thing? Should I advise my daughter to have her tested? (15 Sep 2000)

124. On a routine urinalysis, our son had glucose and ketones in his urine. He also had glucose on one other ocassion. His random blood sugar and hemoglobin A1c are normal, and he shows no other diabetes symptoms. Should he be checked by an endocrinologist? (15 Sep 2000)

125. I am a 27 year old health who has had type 1 for 15 years. For the last five years, I have been in good control andI do not have any complications. I seem to worry constantly that I am going to develop them. Is worrying about my future is normal? Am I depressed? Is it normal to constantly think about slowly dying? (15 Sep 2000)

126. Our 15 year old son has type 1 diabetes. He uses marijuana (without our consent). His average blood sugar readings have been running about 325 mg/dl [18.1 mmol/L] for more than six months. He has been seeing a psychologist and other doctors, but little is helping. Do you have any suggestions of where we can send him to get help? (15 Sep 2000)

127. I have been having pains in my lower abdomen, very frequent urination, blurry vision, dizziness, dry mouth, and I am losing weight. I am also currently on steroids. Could this be diabetes or is the medicine a possible factor? (14 Sep 2000)

128. My 19 year old son has been getting Ritalin since he was four. He was diagnosed with diabetes about a year and a half ago. Is it possible that the excess from his large dose of Ritalin collected in the pancreas and killed his insulin-producing cells? (14 Sep 2000)

129. Our three and one-half year old son was diagnosed just a week ago. We have had blood sugar ranges from 45-518 mg/dl [2.5-28.8 mmol/L] and haven't contacted any physicians. At what levels should we definitely contact a physician? (14 Sep 2000)

130. How can Ventolin cause hyperglycemia? What can we do to solve this problem? (14 Sep 2000)

131. I heard recently that the longer a person has diabetes, the shorter the amount of time that person has to identify the symptoms of a "low" and treat it before having a seizure or passing out. Is this really true? (14 Sep 2000)

132. My brother-in-law has had type 1 diabetes for 24 years. He used beef/pork insulin for 23 years and never had problems with hypoglycemia. His doctor changed him to human insulin (Reg/NPH) last year. Since then he has had many lows and has started to develop unawareness. What is different about the human insulin? (14 Sep 2000)

133. My 13 year old daughter with diabetes was diagnosed with acanthosis nigricans. he has had type 1 diabetes since she was six years old. Will you please explain the relationship between type 1 diabetes and acanthosis nigricans? Is this skin disorder related to insulin? (14 Sep 2000)

134. What do the antibody tests determine? Can you still be type 1 if the antibody test was negative? (14 Sep 2000)

135. My nine year old son has an odor that I can only associate with ketoacidosis. He becomes diaphoretic, nauseous and weak, when he has not eaten in several hours. I'm baffled and concerned. (14 Sep 2000)

136. My 17 year old son has just been diagnosed with diabetes. He has been having hypo's lately and has also been having some seizures. Why is this? What is the mechanism of him having these seizures? (14 Sep 2000)

137. We have been trying for a year and a half to have a second child. Is the fact that my sugar is so elevated making it harder for us to conceive? (14 Sep 2000)

138. My 17 year old son has just been diagnosed with diabetes. He has been having hypo's lately and has also been having some seizures. What is the mechanism of him having these seizures? (13 Sep 2000)

139. My friend's four year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He wants to know if there is a chance to be cured and what proper methods the family should take. Now, the child is receiving insulin shots every day, but his blood glucose isn't controlled very well. What can we do? (13 Sep 2000)

140. My 14 year old year old daughter was diagnosed two years ago with type 1. Two months later, she tested positive for mono. Two years later, she can do no extra activity without being exhausted. Could this be diabetes related? Does mono has an effect on people with diabetes that could last this long? (13 Sep 2000)

141. Is there a rule of thumb to follow when administering the Humalog with regard to how much one unit will lower her blood sugar? How much Humalog is necessary to cover a certain amount of consumed carbohydrates? (13 Sep 2000)

142. Is it necessary for all children with type 1 diabetes to have intravenous insulin and fluids for minor surgery? If not, what do you suggest? (13 Sep 2000)

143. Our four and one-half year old son has type 1 diabetes and autism (PDD). Is there any correlation between the two, and where can we go to find others with the same combination? (13 Sep 2000)

144. I am 16 and was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 12. I use insulin lispro. I once had to inject 22 units of insulin when my blood sugar was very high. It made me shiver and feel really faint. Is this normal or did I take a dangerous dose? (13 Sep 2000)

145. I am 41 years old and IAA and ICA positive, but IVGTT normal. What is the probability that I will develop diabetes at five years and beyond that? (13 Sep 2000)

146. My eight year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes 18 months ago. I have many questions. (13 Sep 2000)

147. I have a mom in class that has diabetes. She wants to know the reasons she is more likely to have a cesarean. Other than the possibility of the baby being larger, are there other factors, such as how her numbers are doing at the time of labor? (13 Sep 2000)

148. I am 23 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes nine months ago. I am currently taking around 9 units of 70/30 insulin a day. I don't mind taking shots, but it's the glucose testing I hate. I'm having to check my blood glucose about 14 times a day because it's so erratic. Do you have any recommendations? (12 Sep 2000)

149. My eight year old son has been wetting the bed lately. This seems to go in a cycle two to three times a week, one week of the month. As far as I can tell, he's not going high at night. We make sure he uses the bathroom two to three times before bed also. It has become embarrassing for him. (12 Sep 2000)

150. My four year old son has what they call borderline diabetes. His sugar level from a blood test was 62 mg/dl [3.4 mmol/L]. He has all the symptoms of diabetes. What can I do to keep him healthy? (12 Sep 2000)

151. My 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 10. She now takes Humalog and Ultralente and Lente. I am also concerned about this thing she is having in the middle of the night that she takes the Lente for. I worry about that happening, her having too much insulin and reacting to it. (12 Sep 2000)

152. My husband, who has insulin controlled diabetes, was offered acupuncture to help with pain. He was informed that the acupuncture could lower his blood sugar. Is this correct? (12 Sep 2000)

153. We have an child (age 11) who will be attending an overnight camp for one week. It is not a diabetes camp. Our child is able to provide his own care. Do you have a suggested outline for a letter of instruction that we can provide the camp? (12 Sep 2000)

154. My newborn granddaughter has been diagnosed with neonatal diabetes. We've been told that there is a 70% chance that she will outgrow it. If this does not occur, what is the long term prognosis for a normal life span? Also, is there a current treatment to increase the odds of this happening? (12 Sep 2000)

155. I have read where Coxsackie Virus can act as a trigger for type 1 diabetes. My two-year old son has had this virus twice. This concerns me. Is there anything I can do for my son to help his body to stop attacking the beta cells? (12 Sep 2000)

156. Can you provide some information as to how a hot environment affects blood sugar levels? Is it important for people with gestational diabetes to avoid heat, or should we eat less during hot weather to make up for higher blood sugar levels? (12 Sep 2000)

157. I am 31 and have had diabetes since age 13. I want to become pregnant soon. I also have thyroid problems and glaucoma. What are the effects of diabetes and thyroid problems during pregnancy? What are the most important months of tight control during pregnancy? (12 Sep 2000)

158. I have been on the pump for three years, and my biggest problem is that I get a rash around any tape that I use to keep my infusion set in place. If you or any other pumpers have any suggestions, I would be very grateful. (11 Sep 2000)

159. My boyfriend's daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes right after she was born. Will she have more health problems than other children due to being born with it? (11 Sep 2000)

160. If I check her at 4:30 am and her blood sugar is 121mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] and three hours later its 289 mg/dl [16.1 mmol/L], what is that? Did she go low and rebound? (11 Sep 2000)

161. My six year old was diagnosed with type 1 at age five. I started him on vitamin supplements and I was wondering if vitamin E, or any other, for that matter, raises blood sugar. (11 Sep 2000)

162. We are trying to find doctors who specialize in pediatric diabetic patients. Are there any specialties or credentials we can look for? Do you know of any sources to find doctors who specialize in babies with diabetes? (11 Sep 2000)

163. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes one month ago. Yesterday afternoon her pupils were extremely dilated, this morning they were normal, but again this afternoon they were somewhat dilated. Is there any correlation between this situation and diabetes? (11 Sep 2000)

164. I found ants on my daughter's panties. Is this a cause for worry that the urine has sugar? Do I need to send her for a test? (11 Sep 2000)

165. My niece is six years old and has had diabetes about a year. She began to get episodes of hyper- and hypoglycemia with big increases in the daily doses of insulin. Approximately one month ago, she began with episodes of absences with automatism. Can a relationship exist between these seizures and the diabetes? (11 Sep 2000)

166. I read about a trial of some new kind of autoimmune suppressant to prevent the body from killing off remaining beta cells during the honeymoon period. Is this likely to go anywhere quickly enough to help kids now in that phase of the disease? (11 Sep 2000)

167. Can a family member be a donor for pancreas cells? How old should you be to be eligible for this? (11 Sep 2000)

168. Our eight year old son was diagnosed six months ago. He is quite active in several sports, and we are very frightened of him experiencing a low that would cause him to pass out. What are the complications involved if he was ever to pass out? (11 Sep 2000)

169. My wife did a two-hour after meal blood sugar test in her 31st week of pregnancy which was 7.2 mmol/L [130 mg/dl]. This was high [Normal: 3-6.9 mmol/L or 65-124 mg/dl]. How serious is this? (11 Sep 2000)

170. When I was pregnant with my daughter I had gestational diabetes, that was not caught by my glucose test. When my daughter was born, she had avery low glucose level. What is the chance of this happening in my next pregnancy? Is there a chance that my daughter will have diabetes when she is older? (10 Sep 2000)

171. I was diagnosed at 28 weeks with gestational diabetes. For a week, I tried to control it with diet, but after my weekly visit I was told to go on insulin. I am totally freaked out about the whole situation. Any suggestions? (10 Sep 2000)

172. My 10 year old was just diagnosed with hypoglycemic episodes. What can I expect for her future? Can this be controlled with diet? Will she outgrow this? Will it worsen to type 1 diabetes? (10 Sep 2000)

173. My friend has a 14 year old with type 1 who sometimes has to take 45 units of lispro and is still high. He seems to have such high resistance compared to my own daughter who also has diabetes. Could a thyroid problem exist for him? (10 Sep 2000)

174. My 12 year old nephew was diagnosed earlier this year with type 1 diabetes. Although he regularly injects himself with insulin, his sugar levels seem to be out of control His parents were told he may have a rare form of diabetes. What does this mean and how is this likely to be treated? (10 Sep 2000)

175. My son is four years old. Since he was two months old, he has had "shaking episodes". I have always discussed this with his doctors, but the tests always ended up okay. The doctor recommended that I check his blood sugar with a meter during these episodes. His numbers are low. Should I notify the doctor as soon as possible? (10 Sep 2000)

176. What is Mauriac Syndrome now known as? (10 Sep 2000)

177. My friend has had type 1 diabetes since she was about 18 or 19 years old. She noticed a red circular area on her lower leg just above her ankle. I think it is called something like necrobiosis. Is there a treatment? If not, what is the prognosis? (10 Sep 2000)

178. I am trying to get pregnant and want to know that I am. I want to keep my blood sugars in the best control as possible. What guidelines should I follow to keep my blood sugars great? (10 Sep 2000)

179. My son, who is almost four years old, has had type 1 diabetes for almost a year. Can "growth spurts" drastically affect the blood glucose readings within that time? Also, is there such a thing as "rebound" numbers after having a low? (10 Sep 2000)

180. I have excellent control, but I have been having huge blood sugar swings. I believe these swings are due to menstrual cycle hormone fluctuations. What specific hormones affect the blood sugar and how? (10 Sep 2000)

181. My wife is 33 years old and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two years ago. We are planning to have our second baby. What should blood sugar levels be prior to planning a pregnancy for a woman with type 2? (9 Sep 2000)

182. Sometimes my five year old son has green bowel movements. Is this anything to be concerned about? (9 Sep 2000)

183. I am 34 years old and have had diabetes for 16 years. My hemoglobin A1cs have been in the normal range forever. I have just been diagnosed with gastroparesis, and I am confused as to why I got it with such good control. What is the prognosis for gastroparesis? (9 Sep 2000)

184. I wanted to know if there was any observed rebound phenomenon above 2.20 or so. I have noticed that my rebound in the morning are never above 1.70 and I base my case on the fact that I will have no sugar in my urines but trace to one cross (the french unit for measuring acetone) of acetone. (9 Sep 2000)

185. My son is 9 and diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 11 months ago. About six months ago he was having mood swings that his doctor attributed to rapid changes in his blood sugar. (9 Sep 2000)

186. My daughter has type 1 diagnosed at age 2. She is now seven years old and entering the second grade. We got a new nurse this year and also a new form to sign that bothers us a great deal. (9 Sep 2000)

187. I am 25 and have type 1 diabetes. I have just come down with chickenpox. Are there any special precautions I should take? (9 Sep 2000)

188. I have six year old twins. Our daughter was diagnosed about a year ago. Her twin brother has symptoms so I tested him and his blood glucose was 359 mg/dl [19.9 mmol/L]. Could he have diabetes too? What should I do? (9 Sep 2000)

189. My four year old son has type 1 diabetes and autism. it is very difficult to control his diabetes and we often have to use glucagon. The school will not check blood sugars or administer glucagon. Can I compel them to have someone available to do these things? (9 Sep 2000)

190. My five year old son was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 21 months following a Coxsackie virus infection. Can he get the virus again, if exposed? (9 Sep 2000)

191. Our HMO is trying to force us to use specific brands of diabetes care supplies, i.e., test meter, test strips, insulin pump, etc. Can they legally force us to use only the ones they want (which are inferior) or do we have some right that allows use the ones we think are best? (9 Sep 2000)

192. Please send me info on the insulin pump. My dad has it and I want information. (9 Sep 2000)

193. My son is two and has just been diagnosed with diabetes. He has been prescribed 1/2 doses of Humalog but we cannot get syringes with 1/2 unit measures in South Africa so it is a bit of guess work. Can you tell me if there is a company where we can order syringes from in the USA? (7 Sep 2000)

194. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 10 years ago. For the past 2 years I have had good control. The results of my most recent A1C test were strange. Though I have had low to normal fasting blood sugars, and on the day of the A1C test it was also normal, the reading was 10. It has usually been 6.3-7. (7 Sep 2000)

195. My 13 year old son just had his first a1c test done. He has IDDM type 1. Can you explain some of the results? (7 Sep 2000)

196. My niece is 7 1/2 years old. She has had diabetes since 4 1/2 years. She very often runs low sugar and goes into pre-coma stages. She is in 2nd grade and is only at beginning 1st grade level. The school insisted she be tested for ADHD. (7 Sep 2000)

197. I'm trying to find information on the use of metformin (Glucophage) in the prevention of type 2 diabetes in women with PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). Can you help? (3 Sep 2000)

198. I am 40 years old. I am on 15 units of Regular and 15 units of NPH insulin in the morning and 5 units of Regular and 15 units of NPH insulin in the evening. I think that I am eating right, but for whatever reason, my sugar level is high. What can I do to bring it under control? (3 Sep 2000)

199. My granddaughter has had diabetes since the age of four and will soon be five. I worry about her blood sugar dropping while she sleeps and the possibility of her going into seizures. Is there some kind of monitor to alert parents that the child is having a seizure other than a baby monitor? (3 Sep 2000)

200. My 16 year old son has acne. The doctor has discussed treating him with Accutane. I have read that there is a possibility of developing diabetes after using Accutane. Would the risk outweigh the benefits of this treatment? (3 Sep 2000)

201. My daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I'm wondering if the insulin that she is taking has anything to do with her hair being extremely dry and falling out in big clumps. Could the injections have something to do with her losing her hair? Could it be due to it being dry before being diagnosed and now having the injections on a regular basis? (3 Sep 2000)

202. My six month old son was just diagnosed with "low blood sugar". I am stricken with worry that this is diabetes. Will he or can he grow out of this? Is this very serious? Do I have reason to lose sleep over this? Can this get worse? (3 Sep 2000)

203. My four year old son, diagnosed at 14 months, has been receiving his injections in the back of his arms and upper thighs. Lately, on some occasions, the insulin will not go in and runs down or is very difficult to push through. Can the injection area cause this? (3 Sep 2000)

204. I was diagnosed as having Granuloma Annulare. My mother and maternal grandfather both have/had diabetes. I am 32 years old and have regularly been tested for diabetes always resulting negative, even throughout my three pregnancies. I am having trouble understanding why, at my age, I should be getting them. (3 Sep 2000)

205. My son is 11 and was diagnosed with type 1 four years ago. He has a small frame and weighs 62 pounds. At our last visit with our pediatric endocrinologist, blood tests were moderately positive for celiac disease and that in three months we would test again to see if there is another positive result. He does not have any intestinal symptoms Is it proper to wait three months for more tests or is this something that should be dealt with sooner? (3 Sep 2000)

206. How severely does Grave's aggravate insulin resistance? Can insulin resistance aggravate Grave's? Does CAH have an effect on insulin resistance and/or Grave's? (3 Sep 2000)

207. They prescribed albuterol solution to use in a nebulizer due to his wheezing. Can you tell me if this medicine could cause high blood sugars with moderate to large ketones? (3 Sep 2000)

208. At 11 1/2 months of age my son was diagnosed with "severe" hypoglycemia and hyperinsulinism. Will he outgrow this condition? How common is type 2 diabetes with this condition? What could have caused this? (3 Sep 2000)

209. My husband, age 67, just found out he has type 1 diabetes. He also has Hashimoto's thyroid condition. Is hot weather climate better or worse for people with diabetes? Do weather conditions have any bearing on blood sugar levels? (3 Sep 2000)

210. My 10 year old daughter's blood sugar readings will jump from a high of 352 mg/dl (19.6 mmol/l) before lunch to a 76 mg/dl (4.2 mmol/l) at suppertime. She has had diabetes for five months. Is this signaling the end of the honeymoon stage and is there anything to do to level out the blood sugar other than insulin adjustment? (2 Sep 2000)

211. My four year old son was diagnosed with CHARGE association, epilepsy and cerebral palsy at age six weeks. He drinks nothing but water, and self-limits his diet. Could my son also have diabetes? (2 Sep 2000)

212. I have a eight year old daughter who weighs 159 pounds and continues to gain weight. I am told that her body produces too much insulin. I was told that I just needed to watch what she is eating, and wait for her pancreas to shut down. Then, and only then, can the physicians assist in this problem. I was told that by the time her pancreas shuts down she will then have type 2 diabetes. (2 Sep 2000)

213. Should children with diabetes be in a atmosphere that has mold, mildew, dust, etc., like a basement? (2 Sep 2000)

214. My son was diagnosed with diabetes at age three; he is now six years old. I am getting at my wit's end as to what to do to get his blood sugar numbers where they need to be. I feel we need to get this under control. Any suggestions to this constant high/low battle? (2 Sep 2000)

215. I have heard the pancreas has two functions. One is producing insulin. What is the other function? (2 Sep 2000)

216. I a 60 year old female who has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes within the past week. I am obese, but I have lost 12 pounds in the past year. The only change that I can see is that I have been taking diuretics for the past year. Can there be a correlation between the diuretics and the diabetes? (1 Sep 2000)

217. My l0 year old was diagnosed with Type 1 five years ago. She has had good control of her A1c until recently. She has been gaining weight constantly. Three months ago, the doctor increased her insulin. I'm very concerned about her weight. Can you give me any suggestions? (1 Sep 2000)

218. My 10 year old son has had type I diabetes for two years. My son weighs 33 kilograms and he receives 30 units of insulin for a typical day. Are there any rules regarding the total amount of insulin received by a child? Is it related to weight? (1 Sep 2000)

219. I am 12 years old and have had diabetes for seven years. I can usually tell when I am low or high, but lately, my symptoms have been either backwards or none at all. Is this normal? What's making it that way? (1 Sep 2000)

220. What are the possible consequences of late diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in an infant? (1 Sep 2000)

221. My son is six years old and has had some increasing symptoms of diabetes. He has had complaints of light-headedness, nausea, increased thirst, increased urination, increased hunger, and mood swings. He had a fasting blood sugar test done two months ago and it was negative. Can the symptoms appear and wax and wane for awhile, prior to a positive test result? (1 Sep 2000)

222. My father is 79 and has had type 1 diabetes for almost 20 years. About three months ago, his doctor changed his medications. Could you please comment on the use of Actos and Glucophage with NPH for type 1? (1 Sep 2000)

223. This is my first pregnancy. My one-hour glucose tolerance test showed a level of 158 mg/ dl [.8 mm/l] My doctor says that 134 mg/dl [7.4 mmol/L] is their "normal cut-off range", and they are insisting that I submit to the three-hour screen. Aren't there better, non fasting ways to test more accurately how my body metabolizes sugar? (1 Sep 2000)

224. We suspect our seven year old may have diabetes. She had a 3 hour glucose tolerance test (GTT). She was placed on a "diabetic diet" for two weeks. Then, we are to return for a follow up visit. I am not very comfortable with the way this is being handled. I need help and reassurance that this treated properly. There is a long family history of diabetes, and I have seen how dangerous this can be. (1 Sep 2000)

225. I have type 1 diabetes and a family history of hemochromatosis. Is there a relationship between the two? (1 Sep 2000)

226. My niece visited yesterday and her eating habits were very enormous. Her blood sugar was 511 mg/dl [28.4 mmol/l]. We took her to the emergency room and her blood sugar there was 121 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/l]. Can a normal person have such high blood sugars or is she going through the honeymoon stage of diabetes? (1 Sep 2000)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts