Question:

From Hong Kong:

My 10 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for two years. My son weighs 33 kilograms and he receives 4 units of R and 18 units of N in the morning, 4 units of R and 4 units of N in the evening for a typical day. All together he has 30 units. I adjust his insulin dose according to his blood glucose level (so called sliding scale) when he is over 200 mg/dl (11.1 mmol/L). Therefore, the total amount of insulin he receives varies sometimes. Are there any rules regarding the total amount of insulin received by a child? Is it related to weight?

Answer:

We typically talk about a unit per kilo, less in younger and more in older (teenagers). This is total diabetes, after the pancreas fails. Early on less is needed, but it sounds like your son is totally insulin dependent.