Question:

From Alabama, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes and so do other members of my family (although not immediate family). My 16 year old son has acne. The doctor has discussed treating him with Accutane. I have read that there is a possibility of developing diabetes after using Accutane. Would the risk outweigh the benefits of this treatment?

Answer:

To begin with, there is less than a five percent chance that your teenage son will develop autoimmune diabetes even though there is a single report of a similar retinoid [the class of medications to which Accutane belongs] being associated with the onset of type 1A diabetes in person who had a kidney transplant. I think that it is exceedingly unlikely that Accutane would induce diabetes in your son.