Question:

From Springfield, Georgia, USA:

My daughter has type 1 diagnosed at age 2. She is now seven years old and entering the second grade. We got a new nurse this year and also a new form to sign that bothers us a great deal."I hereby release and discharge the Effingham County Board of Education and it's employees and said officials from any liability in case of accident or any other mishap in supervising said medication due to any side effects, illness, or other injury which might occur to my child through supervising said medication and I hereby release said aforementioned officials from any liability because of injury or damage which might occur." This to me sounds like if they screw up with her shot or forget it, and she goes into acidosis, they can't be held responsible. I would appreciate any input you might have on this subject.

Answer:

The law requires that the school make accommodations to provide a safe environment for your child. Under the law, the school district cannot have a document in place which waives responsibility. I suggest that you see: a discussion by the American Diabetes Association, and search Children with Diabetes for other related materials.

You might have an attorney draft a letter stating the law. This often takes care of things.

SS

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare