From Bozeman, Montana, USA:

How do you know if you are pregnant? Will you see a immediate change in your blood sugar, or is it gradual? I am trying to get pregnant and want to know that I am. I want to keep my blood sugars in the best control as possible. What guidelines should I follow to keep my blood sugars great? My last HbA1c was at 6.0%.

Pregnancy can be determined based on urine test that you buy from the drugstore. However, some women notice changes in glucose control very early in pregnancy. Your hemoglobin A1c is very good. You should be checking your blood sugars before each meal and one hour after. Before meals your blood sugar should be 80-100 mg/dl [4.4- 5.6 mmol/L] and less than 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L] at one hour after you eat. This should get you started. I would suggest seeing an obstetrician and an endocrinologist as soon as possible if you are already pregnant to discuss further care.

Posted to Family Planning