Question:

From the United Kingdom:

My 12 year old nephew was diagnosed earlier this year with type 1 diabetes. Although he regularly injects himself with insulin, his sugar levels seem to be out of control, and he is currently in hospital under observation. His parents were told that if he did not respond to the insulin dosage within the next few days, he may have a rare form of diabetes. What does this mean and how is this likely to be treated?

Answer:

I don't know what would be meant by 'a rare form of diabetes'. There are certainly very rare conditions where the body is resistant to insulin. It is far more likely that hospital treatment will be dramatically successful, and the reason for poor blood sugar control at home is that your nephew has not been taking his insulin as regularly and diligently as stated.