From Santa Barbara, California, USA:

My friend has a 14 year old with type 1 who sometimes has to take 45 units of lispro and is still high. He seems to have such high resistance compared to my own daughter who also has diabetes. Could a thyroid problem exist for him?

Firstly, tempting though it is, you should not compare insulin doses and regimens with your daughter's. Diabetes care has to be individualised and requirements vary enormously. Second, you give no indication whether your friend's child is using the large boluses in the context of generally good control or amidst chaos. I rather suspect the latter, and this makes comparison even less valuable. I think a thyroid problem is unlikely as the common problem is an underactive gland which results in a diminished insulin requirement.

Posted to Thyroid and Daily Care