From Guelph, Ontario, Canada:

My wife did a two-hour after meal blood sugar test in her 31st week of pregnancy. The result of her test was 7.2 mmol/L [130 mg/dl] which was high according to the listed normal range of 3-6.9 mmol/L [65-124 mg/dl]. How serious is this? Do we have to do anything for the safety of the baby? Some people said that the corn is better than wheat and rice for a patient with diabetes. Is that true?

The 7.2 mmol/L [130 mg/dl] result is slightly elevated. However, your wife's obstetrician should do a glucose tolerance test to determine if, in fact, your wife has gestational diabetes. Since her value is only slightly elevated, if the diagnosis of diabetes is correct, then it is likely that your wife will do well on diet therapy alone. Complex carbohydrates (pasta, and grains such as rice, wheat and corn) are part of this diet. I do not know if corn is any better than rice. I would suggest speaking with a dietitian in your area.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes