From Riverside, California, USA:

My six year old was diagnosed with type 1 at age five. I started him on vitamin supplements and I was wondering if vitamin E, or any other, for that matter, raises blood sugar.

I know nothing about vitamin E and blood sugar. I do know too much can cause a bleeding tendency.

[Editor's comment: There is some very preliminary evidence that vitamin E might be helpful to protect from diabetic retinopathy.

Please discuss the use of vitamins and other supplements with your child's diabetes doctor and also with the general pediatrician, and be sure that there are no special circumstances that might mean that the supplement might be inappropriate. WWQ]