From Pahoa, Hawaii, USA:

Our four and one-half year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at seven months of age. At age two and one-half, he was diagnosed as autistic (PDD). We have special difficulties with diet, getting him to eat at the right times, toilet training (he's still in diapers), etc. Is there any correlation between the two, and where can we go to find others with the same combination?

A very difficult situation. I am not personally aware of any connection. In 25 years of care for children with diabetes, I have not personally cared for a child with PDD and diabetes, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I expect the best advice I can give is to use insulin, Humalog after meals, whatever there may be with judicious use of intermediate insulins. When Lantus (insulin glargine) is available, it might be a useful adjunct.