Question:

From Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England:

Is it necessary for all children with type 1 diabetes to have intravenous insulin and fluids for minor surgery? If not, what do you suggest?

Answer:

For outpatient surgery, I try to schedule first case in the morning. I then give about two-thirds of morning NPH with the plan for food by early afternoon. For those with pumps, we continue the pump at the basal rate. This, obviously, is predicated on a quick surgery with a rapid return to oral intake. If this isn't going to occur, then iv insulin is the easiest way to manage.

[Editor's comment: See Surgery Pre-Op Advice for some additional thoughts. WWQ]

Posted to Surgery