From Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA: On a routine urinalysis, our son was found to have glucose (>1, 000 mg/dl) and ketones (+++) in his urine, a random blood glucose blood of 133 mg/dl [7.4 mmol/L], and a hemoglobin A1c of 4.9% (within normal range). Five more urine checks over the next five days were completely normal for both glucose and ketones. On the sixth day, however, the urine again tested at >1, 000 for glucose (ketones unknown).

He shows no symptoms of diabetes, his growth has been good, and he has not lost weight. He says he "is hungry" several times a day (and often at times when I really don't think he should be hungry, i.e. shortly after a good meal). The first words out of his mouth every morning is "I want to eat breakfast". His breath often smells of nail polish remover, especially in the morning. My son's half uncle has type 1 diabetes, but there is no other history of it. My pediatrician says to continue to check the urine, and he will "probably" send my son to a pediatric endocrinologist if there are more positives. This doesn't seem entirely right to me.

It sounds like he needs to be checked out by an endocrinologist for more specific tests relating to possible diabetes. You should go back to your doctor.

[Editor's comment: There are lots of reason for ocassional spillage of sugar in the urine. I agree with your pediatrician that you you need to watch him and then have him checked by a specialist if the problem persists, or if he shows other symptoms. SS]