Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

My five year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over a week ago. Every time he urinates, my son tells me that it hurts him, so he will make himself stop in the middle then resume again then repeat until he is finished. He had tests done, and he does not have a bladder infection. When will the pain stop and what could be the cause?

Answer:

There are many causes of pain with urination in five year old boys. I doubt this is a consequence of his diabetes. I would suggest eliminating bubble baths from his baths and drain the tub before you put any soap or shampoo in the water. Most frequently, this represents a little bit of irritation at the end of the urethra where the urine comes out. Also -- good luck with his new diagnosis of diabetes.

JS