Question:

From Scarsdale, New York, USA:

My 10 year old son was diagnosed about 10 months ago. After returning from a wonderful three week summer camp program where he had a great time, learned much, and achieved excellent control, his numbers have spiralled higher and higher, and our team has suggested more and more insulin in response. He has been suffering from Coxsackie virus. It appeared upon his return from camp. He has gone from a decided honeymoon dose of about 20 units/day to close to 40, in less than three weeks. Is it normal for the honeymoon to come to such an abrupt halt? Could the Coxsackie virus have had this much impact (the mouth sores are gone)? His activity level is somewhat less than at camp, but we have stuck religiously to his meal plan. Is there something else we should be considering to explain this abrupt climb in insulin requirements? Our team does not seem overly concerned.

Answer:

It is indeed quite common for the honeymoon period to come to an abrupt end in the face of a viral infection, so I am not surprised that the team is unconcerned. It looks as though he is now on a conventional insulin dose for a 10 year old boy.

Posted to Honeymoon