Question:

From Mount Pleasant, Iowa, USA:

My five year old daughter was diagnosed a year and a half ago with type 1 diabetes. Her sugars aren't in the greatest control lately. Her latest A1c was 8.2%. She is asking to get her ears pierced. Is that okay for her or not? I was worried about infections.

Answer:

I am not aware of any reason that your daughter could not have her ears pierced just because she has diabetes. She should not be at an increased risk for infection any more than any other five year old. Since she is only five years old, she will need help cleaning them during the healing process to help prevent infection.

LW

[Editor's comment: I'd suggest that the piercing be done by a health care professional rather than your next door neighbor or an employee of a jewelry store; be sure the doctor knows of the diabetes and its current status of control. If the doctor wants to wait a while for better blood sugar control, or if you do, then there's certainly no hurry that I can think of to get them pierced, is there? WWQ]