Question:

From Huber Heights, Ohio, USA:

My 12 year old daughter who has been suffering from migraine headaches for two years. I am almost 95 percent positive that they come on when her blood sugar drops. She has been telling me that she suddenly becomes tired, feels shaky, and her vision is impaired then the migraine hits. Within 10 minutes, she vomits and falls asleep for four to six hours. I have mentioned to our doctor that I feel there is a connection and get no response, or I am told not to worry. I have just switched pediatricians.

I would like to know if I should be more forceful in getting the low blood sugar taken seriously. She passed out at home recently and fell face first into a set of mirrored doors. The doctors told me teenagers just drop like flies at this age, and it is nothing to worry about. They did an EEG and an EKG because of the passing out and my daughter describing that she was shaking slightly before passing out. They were normal.

Any ideas, or should I relax and just keep insisting on low carbohydrate meals and a regular schedule as I have been doing for over a year?

Answer:

Several ideas, but first, please do try to see a pediatrician who will do more investigation of what is going on here. I think this needs a thorough evaluation.

I assume you or someone in your family has diabetes since you are looking for help on this website, so I hope you could measure her blood glucose when she feels faint and nauseated. If the doctor has information on what the blood glucose levels are, that may help.The diet for someone with hypoglycemia is usually six smallish meals. If concentrated sweets are used, they should only be used at meals, not given alone.

LSF