From the Netherlands:

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on the age of one. Actually, the doctors all agree I have it since I was born. The thing I want to express is that I have had diabetes for 30 years now and never experienced any problems most associated with diabetes. I never followed any special diet. The reason for this is that, being a child, the need for energy differs from day to day. I always ate what I thought my body needed. The doctors were always amazed at me because at that time a highly regulated diet was considered the only treatment. I wish to say to all parents having diabetic kids, to do whatever is best for your kid. Don't worry to much about your kid having diabetes. I have it for over thirty years now. I am completely healthy. I have no kidney damage, no retina damage, or any other damage caused by diabetes. I strongly believe this is because I only ate whenever my body told me to ate. I even ate sweets sometimes. I lived a life like any other child. Diets where something for others. I hope this will help parents who are having difficulties because their child is being diagnosed with diabetes.

I would say you are very fortunate indeed. I know many children and their parents who struggle very hard to keep blood sugars under control. It sounds like you have done a good job making good decisions for yourself. I wish it were that easy for everyone, however. Everyone has his or her own diabetes and control of diabetes is sometimes a very big issue even when people are doing everything in their power to take care of themselves. Stay healthy.