Question:

From South Bend, Indiana, USA:

Over the past four years, my eight year old daughter has been gaining weight at a pretty rapid rate. She has gained most of this weight in the abdominal area. In the past four months, she has gained 15 pounds. I have discussed this with her pediatrician and am concerned that type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance may be a problem. She is no less active than any other kids and does not eat a lot. I took sugar out of our diets almost completely, yet she continues to gain. There is diabetes on my husband's side of the family. The pediatrician says if she does not have thirst, frequent urination, etc., she does not have diabetes. Do you think I should pursue a work-up for type 2? If so, what all should this include in a child?

Answer:

Testing for Typeá2 diabetes in children is relatively easy. The diagnosis of diabetes is made when a blood sugar is abnormally high. Unfortunately, the definitive diagnosis of Typeá1 versus type 2 diabetes is a bit more challenging and is made both on the history and judgement of the physician and with some specialized blood antibody tests. Even with these tests, it can be difficult to distinguish between the two.

I would agree that with your child's history, a work-up for diabetes would be in order. In my clinic, this would include a urine test and perhaps a modified glucose tolerance test (two blood tests and drinking a carbohydrate loaded drink).

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2