Question:

From Lakeport, California, USA:

I've had type 1 for 37 of my 48 years. I have read that people who have diabetes may be more prone to "frozen shoulder" than people who don't have diabetes. Can you explain what this problem is? What types of treatments are available?

Answer:

Frozen shoulder (Limited Joint Mobility, LJM) is part of a scleroderma-like syndrome [scleroderma is a rare disorder that usually is separate from diabetes -- Ed.] that may appear in people with long term diabetes due to changes in collagen of soft tissues of our body. These changes are due to the long term non-enzymatic glycosylation (AGE) that alters the turnover of dermal collagen and other proteins of skin and soft tissues leading to joint contracture and pain. This is prevented by good metabolic control that inhibits the non-enzymatic glycosylation of HbA1c as well as the other proteins of the body.