Question:

From New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA:

I have had diabetes (type 1) for almost 15 years. I am 27, and I am in fairly good control. My last HbA1c was 7.1%. On and off for the past seven years, I have had bouts of insomnia (the past 6 weeks have been the worst). Is there a link between diabetes and insomnia? I have followed all the doctor's advice, do not drink alcohol, smoke, or drink much caffeine).

Answer:

No tie to insomnia and diabetes. However, you should make sure that there is not subtle (asymptomatic) hypoglycemia interfering with sleep -- by checking blood sugar levels several times and frequently when you cannot go to sleep or are awakened and cannot get back to sleep. Also, there is probably more depression associated with any chronic illness (like diabetes) and depression can certainly be associated with insomnia.