Question:

From Portland, Oregon, USA:

My daughter is nine, was diagnosed five years ago, and has been on a pump for the last year. Her school principal is concerned about her testing in the classroom due to the blood issue. She would like to see a journal article stating that this is safe for the other children in the classroom. She has always checked in the school office, but it is too far from her classroom this year, and she is more than mature enough to check it on her own.

Answer:

As I understand it, the school is required by law to make accommodations for your daughter's blood checks. However, the law does not require that the school allow her to do so in the classroom. You might print out what you've found on this site and share it with them.

Of course, to me, if your daughter is able to do her own checks, can be given a special area in the classroom (perhaps, covering it with saran wrap or foil), and disposes of strips and lancets at home, there should not be an issue. What is meant by, "blood-borne pathogens, " is that, diseases can develop if one is in direct contact with contaminated blood. First of all, I doubt that your daughter has any blood-borne pathogens, and, secondly, the protocol that I outlined above should eliminate that worry.

SS

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare and Blood Tests and Insulin Injections