Question:

From Moorpark, California, USA:

My eight year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on a year ago. Does the Americans with Disability Act, or any other law, have a provision which requires that his school have someone someone on the premises who will administer glucagon or insulin to him in an emergency? My fear is that in case of an emergency, such as an earthquake, I might not be able to get to him, and in such an emergency, 911 probably won't be able to respond for one child. Right now, the school requires that I go there to administer insulin or glucagon if he needs it.

Answer:

If your child's physician spells out in a 504 plan that this is necessary, I believe that it needs to be accommodated by the school. Someone at school should able to give insulin if it is routinely ordered. However, while a distinct possibility, especially in California, the circumstance you describe will, more than likely, not arise.

SS

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare