Question:

From Bean Station, Tennessee, USA:

I am 30 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years. I am pregnant and having trouble with low blood sugars. Some have been severe. I want to know the dangers of low blood sugars during pregnancy. I am on an insulin pump. I check my sugar at least 10 times a day, but I am still having trouble with low blood sugars. My hemoglobin A1cs are in the 5.0% range.

Answer:

Maternal hypoglycemia can result in low blood sugar in the fetus, but it is unclear if this has any long-term effects. If you are out of the first trimester, then I would suggest less strict control of your glucose. The hemoglobin A1c suggests to me that you are very compulsive in managing your blood sugar. As long as your fasting is in the 90-100 mg/dl [5-5.6 mmol/L] range, and one-hour after a meal is less than 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L], you should do well. An occasional high value is not a major concern.

Posted to Family Planning