From England:

I have had type 1 diabetes for nine years, but still find it incredibly difficult to tell people about my condition. What is your advice on telling friends, coworkers, etc.?

Diabetes is nothing to be ashamed of -- it is just a small part of who you are! Of course, not everyone needs to know about this aspect of your life. For those you choose to tell, simply state it in a matter-of-fact manner.

It is important that you respect your own boundaries and share on a "need to know" basis. Boundaries are normal. If you want to remove a boundary, it is your option. The timing is also your option. You might try, "I have been wanting to share a bit more about myself with you ... " (when you wish to tell others about diabetes).

Some people hear the word "diabetes" and associate it with some ancient myths about the condition. You can enlighten those folks about how different the outcomes are in this new era.

Posted to Other Social Issues