From Caracas, Venezuela:

Is it okay to test blood sugar and to give insulin injections in public places like restaurants, parks, etc., in the United States? I am traveling with my six year old child, who has type 1, and I am used to doing this any place when I have to.

More and more people with diabetes in the US are testing their blood sugar and giving injections in public. You will find that people are or are not accepting of this wherever you go. You can even find that many public restrooms in large hotels or restaurants have places to dispose of needles and blood testing equipment.

My advice to you would be continue to do things as you always have. (Please do not throw your supplies away into the ordinary trash. Most, if not all of the states require it to be disposed of in a special container that is for medical waste.)

I wish you and your family a wonderful visit in the US.

Posted to Other Social Issues and Blood Tests and Insulin Injections