Question:

From England:

I have had diabetes for four years now. During this time, I have put on a lot of weight, have lost a lot of energy, and feel constantly depressed. My control is quite poor, and I get a lot of hypos, and hypers. My fingers are also dark in colour. Will going on an insulin pump help?

Answer:

An insulin pump alone is probably not the answer to your dilemma. While a new treatment plan often helps to motivate people to get better control, it does not do it for them, and starting an insulin pump requires a lot of work. If you are not currently being followed by a diabetes team, I would strongly suggest you set up an appointment with one as soon as possible.

It seems to me that, at the present time, you are letting your diabetes control you instead of your taking charge. Your weight gain could likely be a symptom of depression as are the wide fluctuations in your glucose levels. A skilled diabetes team can help you construct a treatment plan that fits into your lifestyle (which might very well include an insulin pump) and teach you how to use it to achieve good blood glucose control. In addition, the team should include a social worker or psychologist to assist you with your depression. If it doesn't, a referral to a person trained in dealing with diabetes and depression is warranted.

Hope things get better for you real soon.

SS

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Other Social Issues