Question:

From Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia:

I have had type 1 diabetes since the age of five, and I am now 17 years old. I am on Humalog insulin (10-12U) three times a day and Ultratard 16U before bed. My diabetes is under control, and I have no sign of end organ damage. I am planning to study electrical engineering in the University of New Brunswick. My questions are:

• Will my having type 1 diabetes jeopardize my chances of gaining acceptance into any of the universities in Canada?
  • Do they give visas to students with type 1 diabetes who wish to continue their tertiary education in Canada?
  • Based on my treatment regimen, how much will it cost me per annum to receive healthcare on my diabetes alone?

Answer:

Canada, like the United Kingdom, has a National Health Service which covers University students. I think it unlikely that having well controlled type 1 diabetes would bias your chances of admission. However, I suggest that you write to the Dean of Admissions at the Engineering School in New Brunswick explaining that you wish to apply and ask for details in case you might be required to make some contribution to the cost of supplies. It would be wise, too, to confirm that you would still be covered during vacation. If there are any costs, you might also write for advice to the Director of the Student Health Service in the University.