Question:

From AOL:

I am a paediatric diabetes nurse who is wondering what you would advocate as a safe HbA1c range for younger children with type 1  diabetes. At present, I work on the adult guidelines of between 6.2 - 7.5% To be honest, it is very difficult to keep their results below 7.0%. Is there something that I am missing out on?

Answer:

It is difficult to anwer this question because I do not know what the normal range is your laboratory, and I am uncertain as to what you mean by, "younger". However, be that as it may, I believe that a "safe range" for HbA1c is the best possbible result you can obtain without significant, frequent episodes of hypoglycemia.

SS

DTQ-ONCAOL20000823
Posted to Tight Control