Question:

From Richmond, Virginia, USA:

Should elementary students be allowed to check their blood sugars in the classroom? Do you suggest criteria for allowing them this priviledge?

Answer:

Yes, I do think elementary school children should be allowed to check blood sugars in the classroom, but I don't think this is a, "priviledge". Checking blood sugars is a necessary part of diabetes management and, allowing it to be done in the classroom, avoids loss of class time and the potential for a severe hypoglycemic reaction.

If the child is able to do her own checks, can be given a special area in the classroom (perhaps, covering it with saran wrap or foil), and disposes of strips and lancets at home, there should not be an issue. It goes without saying that the child also needs to be as unobtrusive as possible.

SS

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare