From Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA:

My nine year old child has diabetes. We live about 0.8 miles from the school, and, this year, he will not have bus transportation. In the past, he has forgotten snack before leaving school and had low's on the bus. I am worried that, if he walks home and forgets to have a snack, he will get sick. Do I have the right to request special accommodation for transportation?

I believe that you do. However, I think the walk would prbably be good for him and would suggest that your child's 504 plan stipulate that the school make sure he eats his snack before he leaves for home. You might also look into an alarm watch that will remind him that it is snack time. See The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes.

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare