From California, USA:

My 12 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four weeks ago. All in all, he seems to be getting along quite well. I have heard him state that "his life is over", "ruined" and "he should just die". Some of this is normal, but how soon should I seek counseling?

Expressing sadness, frustration, and anger over the diagnosis of diabetes is normal, you are right. Saying that your life is over and that you should just die is not normal. However, you know your son better than anyone. Does he tend to exaggerate his feelings, or is he really feeling completely despondent over the diagnosis? If he's really despondent, the sooner you seek counseling, the better. He does not need to suffer that intensely, and counseling can help. Speak with your diabetes team and ask them to recommend mental health counselors that specialize in working with children and teens with diabetes. A book published by the American Diabetes Association may also be helpful to you and your son. It's entitled The Ten Keys to Helping Your Child Grow Up With Diabetes by Timothy Wysocki.

Posted to Behavior