Question:

From the Marshall Islands:

My nine year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes seven years ago. We are currently living overseas and do not have access to a dietitian to review his meal plan (i.e., how many carb servings he should have at breakfast?). What is a general diet for an active nine year old who weighs 62 pounds?

Answer:

I don't have enough information about your son's eating habits or nutrition needs to give you a specific reply, however, I would advise you to be as consistent with the amount of carbohydrate you give him at each meal and snack. The total amount can be guided by how satisfied he is at each meal and snack and if he is gaining weight appropriately. Insulin can be adjusted to meet his nutrition needs. I am hoping you are being followed by a physician who is knowledgeable about diabetes in order to provide appropriate insulin adjustments. Making sure he has all of the guidelines for food groups indicated on the Food Guide Pyramid is a good place to start and then his appetite can be a guide.

JM