Question:

From Calcutta, India:

My 15 day old newborn son has had low sugar since birth. My wife delivered 20 days before due date. He is on a intravenous drip, and the doctors are telling me that his body is unable to produce sugar and his sugar is low. What are the reasons for this? What is the treatment and the long term effect of this?

Answer:

Your son probably had low blood sugars because of lack of sugar stores in his liver and muscles. This is quite common in sick newborns. Another possibility is that he is making more insulin than his body needs. This is much rarer, and his doctors will be able to tell you if they think that this is likely.