From the United Kingdom:

I have had type 1 diabetes since the age of six. I am now 40 years old. I recently asked my general practitioner to sign a form for me to do a scuba diving course. He said that he did not know enough about the required criteria to do this. Can you help?

You should contact the British Sub Aqua Club directly. They will explain the criteria which, as far as I remember, are simply an assurance from your doctor that you are not prone to sudden hypoglycaemia without warning. It is only in the last few years that they relaxed their rules that used to prevent people with diabetes from diving.