Question:

From Seattle, Washington, USA:

My 70 year old father has had diabetes for almost 20 years. Though quite thin, he is very active and in good general health. The only persistent problem is a discoloration around his right ankle, where it looks like permanent bruising. What could bring this on?

Answer:

Multiple and varied lesions of the skin are found in association with diabetes. Some of these may be markers for diabetes, some may be complications of diabetes, and some do not have any relationship with diabetes. I guess the latter could be the case for your father if vascular insufficiency has been ruled out. I'd advise him to seek a dermatological consultation if it is bothering him either physically or emotionally.