Question:

From Santa Cruz, California, USA:

I am 22 years old. I consistently have hemoglobin A1c readings in the 5-6% range. My last hemoglobin was 5.9% (3 weeks ago). However, my blood sugar readings have been very erratic over the last couple of months. Is the hemoglobin A1c test merely an average that does not reflect my overall control? Should I assume that, despite the frequent spikes in my blood sugar, my overall control is good?

Answer:

You didn't say how you are managing the diabetes: pump, frequent injections, etc.? If the sugars are erratic, I would wonder if you aren't having a lot of lows that you aren't documenting. Therefore, bouncing all around. A "good" A1c is an average: 500 and 50 make an average of 300 as does 290 and 310. So, are you getting such a "good" number with too many lows? If so, I'd rather see a higher A1c and a smoother glucose curve, even if higher numbers.

[Editor's comment: Your situation might well be clarified by monitoring sugar levels continuously for several days to try to sort out what's happening in more detail. See The WWQ]

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c