From Pueblo, Colorado, USA:

I recently had blood work done when I joined a health club. I received a call from my doctor stating that my hemoglobin A1c was elevated, and I needed to be seen. She told me my hemoglobin A1c was 7.8%. and anything over 5.7% means you have diabetes and is sending me to classes to try to manage it with diet. I am 24 years old, with no family history of diabetes, in good shape, and have no symptoms. My fasting blood sugar was 82 mg/dl [4.6 mmol/L]. Is this one test evidence enough to diagnose me with diabetes or should I be asking for other tests to be preformed?

It is an interesting question. We don't recommend A1c as a diagnostic test because it isn't standardized like glucose. However, one would think that the high A1c means a high average blood sugar, ergo diabetes. Ask about the specific test and any interfering substances or other things that might make it wrong and not representing sugar. Also, check some sugars after you eat, you may have some higher than you think. And finally, why did they check it in the first place?

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c